What to Expect/Yield
The number one question most asked is "How much meat will I get back (yield)?" There are several factors that can play an important role in making that determination. What breed? Male or female animal? Bone-in or boneless cut? Young animal or older animal?
Below is an average of what you might expect from your animal.
- Live Weight = 1200 pounds
- Hanging weight = 600-650 pounds
- Finished weight = 360 - 420 pounds
- Live Weight = 300 pounds
- Hanging weight = 180 – 195 pounds
- Finished weight = 115 – 130 pounds
Sheep & Goat
Varies greatly by breed and age
- Live Weight
- Hanging weight = 35-50% of live weight
- Finished weight = 60-70% of hanging weight